The Romance of Chastisement

The Romance of Chastisement

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Book Covers

Look at the book covers to your right. As you no doubt notice, most of them are drawings of either a spanking in progress or one that is imminent. I'm indebted to Paula Lynn Russell for her kind permission to use her drawings. But one thing I wonder is whether as book covers they are a good idea. They say that your cover should be a grabber because people browsing for books amid hundreds of offerings need to see something that stands out and demands attention. Well, Paula's drawings do that, but the flip side is--do you want this drawing on your kindle where it might be inadvertently viewed by junior or sis? Or how about that guy right next to you in seat 23B? (Or maybe you'd LIKE for the guy in 23B to notice!)

So here is a question--should I tone down my covers? I deliberately chose the cover for THE FRIDAY NIGHT BRIDGE CLUB because it was more "sedate" than say, THE PURITAN MUSEUM. So far FNBC is doing well, but that may be because by now my author name is more well known than when I started 6 months ago. Or it may be something else. I don't know, which is why I'm asking you to comment on my choice of covers and provide me with some feedback.

4 comments:

Orage said...

With THE PURITAN MUSEUM cover we are at the core of the tale. THE FRIDAY NIGHT BRIDGE CLUB cover only hints at what to expect.
Even though they say suggesting is more erotic than showing I'd be very disappointed if you decided to tone down the book covers. Do keep showing us those striped or about-to-be-striped buttocks Paula Russell drew so exquisitely for God's sake!

Remember you can set a password on the settings screen of your kindle.

So you can just go to the bathroom, open the story, revel in the cover, reach the first page and now you are safe.

Alan Hamblin said...

Don't know if you got my comment as I created a blogger account (didn't want one) and don't know what happened.
Anyway I think it depends if you sell as e-books or paperback. If you sell as paperback then maybe a less obvious picture may be better (although books rarely show the front cover) and books of this type are put on higher shelves so children can't reach.
I live in UK and have bought several books and have to adapt the link before getting them.
I currently use kindle for PC and as I don't have children it's not a problem for me what the cover is like. I like the covers as it introduces the content but if they were different it wouldn't matter to me as I search on name.
Sorry I can't be of more help

Rollin said...

Thanks, Orage. I'll keep that in mind.

Rollin said...

Appreciate the comment, Alan. Right now i don't sell in paperback. This is a new enterprise for me, only self-publishing since last Fall, so everything is an experiment.